GuidelinesGuidelines   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   BookmarksBookmarks    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How can we make the forums better
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy P
Andy
i:Vibes Crew

Vibes: 94.69

Member #: 4,745

Post Post subject: How can we make the forums better Reply with quote

As some of you know, my list of things to overhaul on this site is longer than ODB's rap sheet. The forums need to be improved

I want suggestions, I want to know what you hate, what you like

If I have to start emailing you lot, I will, so post your opinions

Check the frontpage daily to find out!
Post rating: 1 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:24 pm
Viceroy
Sam
Club Franchise Owner

Vibes: 230.33

Member #: 3,192

Post Post subject: Reply with quote

More members is the only thing I can think of.

Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.
-Friedrich von Schiller
Post rating: 1 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:01 pm
Viceroy
Sam
Club Franchise Owner

I just thought of something else -
1. Get rid of inactive members that have not posted at all, or posted once a year ago and haven't come back.
2. Start deleting spam topics, self-promotions, advertisments, ect. (Except for legitimite ones in the music production forum).

-Friedrich von Schiller
Post rating: 1 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:11 pm
Anonymous

Member #: -1

You could remove my crappy topics is page 2. Advertisement on other sites would be good. That would definately get more members. Internet DJ seems to dwarf I Vibes when it comes to the amount of members from what I've seen.
Post rating: Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:43 pm
Andy P
Andy

the forums will be revamped, when some of us senior people can brainstorm. TA is the biggest site for forums and they never did any advertising.

Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:48 am
RayvinAzn
Progressive like Tomiie
i:Vibes Helper

Vibes: 87.01

Member #: 3,469

I think we should encourage more users here to join other forums, and spread the word that way. Or even just tell friends about the site, that could work as well. I know theres a lot of competition between the sites sometimes, but I don't really see the point. I go to Trance.nu and here an equal amount, and both have their ups and downs. Trance.nu seems to have better competitions, more activity and exposure, but I:Vibes can't be beaten on its coverage of news, and it's a lot friendlier here than at T.nu.
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:16 pm
Steven H
The Earthquaker
Club Franchise Owner

Vibes: 157.49

Member #: 9

We do need more members, maybe incorporate all the features on the mainsite into the forums. I believe i:Vibes V2.0 is on the way, its looking sweet Wink

Anyway, good things to come!... I may be returning to help operate the site again, it just depends on time etc...

I think more members will come if we have more to offer in areas such as competitions and activity, however we do need to branch into other styles a lot more and Andy has the right idea and is doing just that. Since we focus on trance so much and Trance is a dying genre we need to still cover it but focus on getting a lot of new genre coverage.

A member "clean-Up" could also be a good idea, but before all members are deleted maybe send out a mass-email to everyone so that anyone who registered in the past two years who may have forgotton about us can see that we are still here and they might pay us a visit to see how we have progressed since they were last here.
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:39 pm
Viceroy
Sam
Club Franchise Owner

RayvinAzn wrote:
, and it's a lot friendlier here than at T.nu.

One thing I really like about this site. It;s the most friendly forum on the web almost I think.
Some people are wound a little tight though, people need to relax and not take everything so seriously.

-Friedrich von Schiller
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:17 pm
Anonymous

Viceroy wrote:
1. Get rid of inactive members that have not posted at all, or posted once a year ago and haven't come back.
2. Start deleting spam topics, self-promotions, advertisments, ect. (Except for legitimite ones in the music production forum).

No, keep the self promotions. Make an area where people can upload their songs.
Post rating: Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:58 am
Viceroy
Sam
Club Franchise Owner

Stridr13 wrote:
Viceroy wrote:

No, keep the self promotions.

I think they really clutter up the forum board with topics with maybe 10 views and no replies.

-Friedrich von Schiller
Post rating: 1 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 4:59 pm
Steven H
The Earthquaker
Club Franchise Owner

Vibes: 157.49

Member #: 9

Rename Music Production to

Music & Producion/Promotion

?
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:33 pm
QbIx

Resident DJ

Vibes: 75.45

Member #: 4,122

a part of the forum where people can post events and radio broadcast dates and time they seem to clutter the forum of late.
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:41 pm
Viceroy
Sam
Club Franchise Owner

QbIx wrote:
a part of the forum where people can post events and radio broadcast dates and time they seem to clutter the forum of late.

Good idea.

-Friedrich von Schiller
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:28 pm
Ian
on a long term break

Vibes: 79.70

Member #: 1,132

QbIx wrote:

That's something I want to do in a small forum revamp, so pm stream and tell him to let me do it Wink then I can sort it all out
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:24 pm
Anonymous

Viceroy wrote:
RayvinAzn wrote:
, and it's a lot friendlier here than at T.nu.

One thing I really like about this site. It;s the most friendly forum on the web almost I think.
Some people are wound a little tight though, people need to relax and not take everything so seriously.

Ya this site is friendly. Internet DJ is brutal.
Post rating: Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:20 am
DjBiz
Dj Biz
Moving your Body

Vibes: 24.00

Member #: 6,435

Still new to the site but I like it...PPL seem knowledgable and friendly...seems to be some spammers here and there and alot of self promotion...but for the most part I like it!
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:17 pm
Viceroy
Sam
Club Franchise Owner

I know the admin people and editors and staff are busy, but it would be great if they could find time to visit and post in the forums regularly, since they are often the ones with interesting comments and opinions.

-Friedrich von Schiller
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:29 pm
Mystique

Wannabe Clubber

Vibes: 5.16

Member #: 6,702

Steven H wrote:

I think more members will come if we have more to offer in areas such as competitions and activity, however we do need to branch into other styles a lot more and Andy has the right idea and is doing just that. Since we focus on trance so much and Trance is a dying genre we need to still cover it but focus on getting a lot of new genre coverage.

Well I had to dissagree about your opinion about trance!!! Evil or Very Mad
Trance isn't dying. Last month there have been much "shitty" trance (I think that's a result of making trance Dj's "TOp of the POP" cfr.Dj Tiësto).
But you may not just look at such things, there are still some "killer" tracks such as Signum - Timelord, Active sight- Time of our live, Evangelist - Angelica (Astuni and Lesaux rmx) Wink !!!!!!
Trance isn't dying it's maybe less harder than in the beginning, but my opninion: trance is still developing Exclamation

Nieuw site!!
www.manuellesaux.com
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:00 pm
Andy P
Andy

trance has gone shite and I'm still waiting for someone to be able to prove that to me. I'm still waiting for someone to prove to me that armin/markus and above and beyond are not killing the scene. Let's see face it, fucking deejays don't care about you, welcome to reality, they only care about money and you don't see any of them giving back to the scene. They only take and take and take and don't give back. Don't worry Steven does not have a clue about much.

Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:02 pm
Spacey Orange
Spacey Orange
Cloakroom Duty

Vibes: 2.66

Member #: 6,419

I'm not sure what the first poster meant by 'making it better'. Here are my suggestions though.

1) Make the forum more user friendly. You can do this by removing some options like quick reply. Just have one reply option. Why have clutter? Personally, i don't like the white color. Over time, it creates more strain on my eyes. Mayb a darker color, to create a cooler atmosphere.

2) Eliminate post ratings. Posting should not be a contest subject to peer review. If you think a post is good or bad then reply. Leave it at that. Again more clutter.

3) If the goal is to have more users. Then the site must develop greater momentum by getting a little more than a handful to make use of the network effects.

4) Do something different than other sites. Have a specialty on something an then grow it from there. Be really good and different at something. I'm relatively new here but from what i can see there is info on labels and artists.

5) Reach out and attract other people not using other forums already. Taking other forum users is very hard, even if this forum offers the exact same thing. So focus on targeting users that haven't been to other other forums yet and builld some loyalty.
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:20 am
Viceroy
Sam
Club Franchise Owner

Spacey Orange wrote:
I'm not sure what the first poster meant by 'making it better'. Here are my suggestions though.

1) Make the forum more user friendly. You can do this by removing some options like quick reply. Just have one reply option. Why have clutter? Personally, i don't like the white color. Over time, it creates more strain on my eyes. Mayb a darker color, to create a cooler atmosphere.

Personally, I like the quick-reply feature; but with a DSL modem, it's not a big deal to just hit "Reply" either.

Spacey Orange wrote:
2) Eliminate post ratings. Posting should not be a contest subject to peer review. If you think a post is good or bad then reply. Leave it at that. Again more clutter.

This is a fair idea. Some people give out bad ratings not because of the value of the post, but their personal like/dislike of the poster and whether they like their opinion, not whether it is a good post.
Spacey Orange wrote:

3) If the goal is to have more users. Then the site must develop greater momentum by getting a little more than a handful to make use of the network effects.

I don't really know what you mean here...

-Friedrich von Schiller
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:21 am
Spacey Orange
Spacey Orange
Cloakroom Duty

Quote:
Network effects occur when goods generate value only if they are consumed by several people. In other words, the value of a good to any individual is likely to depend on just how many other people also consume the good. The more people consume the good the more value the good will have for the consumer, and the greater value it will have for non-consumers and the easier it will be to attract non-conumers.

That's why i suggested that site could get momentum and grow by having more than a handful of regular users. The more users the site has, the more value it will have for the users, and the easier it will be to attract other users. Its kind of like a snowball effect.
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:44 am
Viceroy
Sam
Club Franchise Owner

Spacey Orange wrote:
Quote:
Network effects occur when goods generate value only if they are consumed by several people. In other words, the value of a good to any individual is likely to depend on just how many other people also consume the good. The more people consume the good the more value the good will have for the consumer, and the greater value it will have for non-consumers and the easier it will be to attract non-conumers.

That's why i suggested that site could get momentum and grow by having more than a handful of regular users. The more users the site has, the more value it will have for the users, and the easier it will be to attract other users. Its kind of like a snowball effect.

The thing with that is, we have thousands of registered users, new ones almost every day, but hardly any of them post.
What we need are users who will actually post and liven up the forums.

-Friedrich von Schiller
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:14 pm
Andy P
Andy

with asses like spacey orange and what he did in the TA forums....we don't need shit like that. We outwrite trance.nu by a huge margin, you won't see features that I put on here....on there. You won't see some of us crew members asskissing or trying to sleep with labels. I still don't get why people view other sites (exception ta...cuz it is an enigma itself) because the stuff that I'm pushing is real unique, I hope. I'm trying to give people different stuff and new stuff from around the world. I've helped basically turn this site from a lame trance site into something with a real different direction and I'm not done changing things, the forums are going to be very difficult but I'ma keep trying.

Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:59 pm
Spacey Orange
Spacey Orange
Cloakroom Duty

Andy P wrote:
with asses like spacey orange and what he did in the TA forums....we don't need shit like that. We outwrite trance.nu by a huge margin, you won't see features that I put on here....on there. You won't see some of us crew members asskissing or trying to sleep with labels. I still don't get why people view other sites (exception ta...cuz it is an enigma itself) because the stuff that I'm pushing is real unique, I hope. I'm trying to give people different stuff and new stuff from around the world. I've helped basically turn this site from a lame trance site into something with a real different direction and I'm not done changing things, the forums are going to be very difficult but I'ma keep trying.

That's too bad you feel that way. My comments here about expanding the user base and slowing the user attrition are genuine because i think diversity in sites and trance music are great.

I'm not even sure to what you are referring. In any case, if you feel so strongly that you don't need people like me, go ahead and delete my account here. I think you definitely misread or misinterpreted something, even though I'm not sure what it was. Good luck on the site.

EDIT-
I just figured out you're TorontoTrance. I'm really not that bad. I'm sorry you feel that way.
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:21 pm
IceX
Anthony

Vibes: 1.20

Member #: 3,866

don't know, something to make this forum more active anyway.....it seemms to be getting ppl posting less..
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:56 am
Mystique

Wannabe Clubber

Vibes: 5.16

Member #: 6,702

updating dj profiles
made a shoutbox

Nieuw site!!
www.manuellesaux.com
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:58 am
HaRd_TrAnCe
Davey
Almost a Clubber

Vibes: 4.80

Member #: 7,279

MORE VIDEOS AND MORE HARD TRNACE TUNES I PRESONALY TINK
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:27 am
Andy P
Andy

well some of us are still trying....sighs...it's not easy when you work full time and this is just a hobby Sad

Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:32 pm
Spherix
Erik

Vibes: 145.72

Member #: 2,831

HaRd_TrAnCe wrote:
MORE VIDEOS AND MORE HARD TRNACE TUNES I PRESONALY TINK

I've sent you a pm Whisper

Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:21 am
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [i:Vibes] Forum Index -> Other discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: