GuidelinesGuidelines   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   BookmarksBookmarks    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
what equipment should i be looking at??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [i:Vibes] Forum Index -> Music Production and DJ Mix Promotion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

Member #: -1

Post Post subject: what equipment should i be looking at?? Reply with quote

hi,

i'm thinking of learning how to dj (initally) as a hobby and am wondering what sortof equipment is good, and what is bad. i want to work on cd's, mainly because i can't fork out heaps for vinyl all the time. i want good equipment, that wont need replacing too soon...oh yeh: i dont plan on doing scratching (well not very much)
any advice on what to go for and what to avoid? and what sort of budget i'll need Question

thnx Very Happy

-niko
Post rating: Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:56 pm
Ami

i:Vibes Helper

Vibes: 5.14

Member #: 1,823
Location: tending to my rose garden on the other side of the moon

Post Post subject: Reply with quote

im afraid no one advice fits all, probably the main overriding factor is your willingness on how much you want to spend,
besides this also ties in where you live, as equipment prices probably vary from place to place, and probably equipment availbilty.

actually you can try mixing on your pc first maybe to get a feel for it?

cd mixers, the industry standard pioneer cdj1000, is expensive, about twice the price of a top flight technic vinyl turntable, and then you need another one.

maybe its better to go down any local store and try getting an idea from there, besides everyone has there own prefrences, what works for someone might not work for you
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:27 pm
davehart

i:Vibes Admin

Vibes: 563.92

Member #: 910

Well, assuming your staring from nothing you will need.

- Amp
- Speakers
- Mixer
- CD Decks X2

When it comes to CD decks, as ami says, it really depends on how much you want to spend. Numark have a handy little thing called "CD Mix 1" and "CD mix 2". Not a great deal to choose between the two just more features on the second one. Has the mixer and 2 cd's built in and is a very good bit of kit when starting out.

To get a good idea, check out www.htfr.com for some information of the kind of DJ stuff you need to get.

Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Anonymous

Member #: -1

thanx for the replies...

i plan on doing a short course on beatmixing etc before i spend any money on equipment....i guess i'll also get a bit of an idea of what i'll need there...

thnx again for your help

Very Happy
-niko
Post rating: Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:28 pm
dilvie
eric
Almost a Clubber

Vibes: 2.95

Member #: 4,469

auoemski wrote:
thanx for the replies...

i plan on doing a short course on beatmixing etc before i spend any money on equipment....i guess i'll also get a bit of an idea of what i'll need there...

thnx again for your help

Very Happy
-niko

Definately try some software first, see if it's for you (this option wasn't available to me very long ago). It's good enough that some pro dj's are starting to mix from computers almost exclusively, and it's getting better all the time.

That said, I love the feel of slow mixing a deep house set with real vinyl...

- Eric

Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:06 am
davehart

i:Vibes Admin

Vibes: 563.92

Member #: 910

dilvie wrote:
auoemski wrote:
thanx for the replies...

thnx again for your help

Very Happy
-niko

Definately try some software first, see if it's for you (this option wasn't available to me very long ago). It's good enough that some pro dj's are starting to mix from computers almost exclusively, and it's getting better all the time.

That said, I love the feel of slow mixing a deep house set with real vinyl...

- Eric

Mr Paul van Dyk just about mixes all his live sets he does now on his G4 powerbook, handy bit of kit that. Saves a lod of space carrying records around.

For DJ's mixing on a computer is always a plus, saves carting around heavy bads of 12"'s everywhere.

Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 11:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [i:Vibes] Forum Index -> Music Production and DJ Mix Promotion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: