GuidelinesGuidelines   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   BookmarksBookmarks    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Goalkeeper Petr Cech says blunder against Turkey was "a shock"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soccer-Euro

Total Newbie

Vibes: 0.25

Member #: 19,034

Post Post subject: Goalkeeper Petr Cech says blunder against Turkey was "a Reply with quote

Goalkeeper Petr Cech has admitted his blunder that led to Turkey's second goal against his Czech Republic side was "a shock".

And the Chelsea stopper blamed himself for the 3-2 defeat after two late goals from Nihat Kahveci ensured the Turks progressed to the quarter-finals of the tournament ahead of the Czechs.

With his side leading 2-1 and only three minutes of normal time remaining, Cech fumbled a straightforward cross into the path of Nihat who bundled the ball home.

And then just two minutes later the same player found himself clean through on goal to net the winner.

Cech had no chance of stopping the late third goal, but said he would still take the blame for the defeat because he believed his error had resulted in his defenders losing concentration.

"When you make a mistake, you have to admit it. It was my mistake that decided that we have to go home," he told the BBC after the game.

"My mistake was such a shock for everyone. I think the third goal was a consequence of the second one.

"When I went for the cross I knew I was alone. I didn't want to punch it. I wanted to control it and then catch it at the second time but suddenly the ball was too far.

"I should have just punched the ball - I know that now."

Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:09 am
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [i:Vibes] Forum Index -> Other discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: