 |
Main Menu
|
|
|
 |
Interactive
|
|
|
 |
Info
|
|
|
|
|
| View previous topic :: View next topic |
| Author |
Message |
davehart
i:Vibes Admin
 Vibes: 568.95
Joined: 19 Nov 2001 Member #: 910 Posts: 4314 Location: Notts, UK
|
Post subject: Does Trance need more radio edits? |
|
|
Just having a good time in the shower as you do and got my local radio station on. On pops Delirium's Silence.
Very pleasent surprise it was to.
With so many good trance and dance records out there, could we do with more radio freindly edits suitable for radio play?
Would be nice to hear more dance music on the radio I think. _________________ www.davehart.me |
| Post rating: 0 |
Rate this post: Not logged in |
Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:52 pm |
|
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Radiosity
Podium Dancer
 Vibes: 45.06
Joined: 19 Oct 2003 Member #: 4,625 Posts: 274 Location: Lincs, UK
|
Post subject: |
|
|
I'm torn on this one. Generally I hate them because they're annoyingly short (obviously, or they wouldn't be suitable for radio), but sometimes they're good for things like putting on my phone since it's better than having huge 8+ minute tracks that take a while to get going on there.
As for radio... dunno really, I prefer the decent stuff to stay out of the mainstream generally. Some of the cheesy crap that gets labeled as trance makes me shudder and I'd rather keep 'cheese' and 'awesome' as firmly seperate as possible :p On the other hand though, if I'm at work and we've got radio 1 on (which is basically the case at all times) then sure, I'd love to hear some decent stuff being played instead of all this pop and r&b crap.
So yeah, torn. Dunno which is better; more on the radio or leaving it as it is, they both have merits and downsides  |
| Post rating: 0 |
Rate this post: Not logged in |
Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:16 am |
|
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
davehart
i:Vibes Admin
 Vibes: 568.95
Joined: 19 Nov 2001 Member #: 910 Posts: 4314 Location: Notts, UK
|
Post subject: |
|
|
I fully agree with you on that.
There is a lot of shit that gets tagged as Trance on the radio just because its dancey. Radio 1 during the day is just full of rap and RnB, gets on your tits after a bit. _________________ www.davehart.me |
| Post rating: 0 |
Rate this post: Not logged in |
Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:05 pm |
|
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
davehart
i:Vibes Admin
 Vibes: 568.95
Joined: 19 Nov 2001 Member #: 910 Posts: 4314 Location: Notts, UK
|
Post subject: |
|
|
Just on a sidenote, once again in the shower I picked up Impetto's radio mix of Fragma's 'Toca Me'. Very nice to hear. _________________ www.davehart.me |
| Post rating: 0 |
Rate this post: Not logged in |
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:14 pm |
|
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Radiosity
Podium Dancer
 Vibes: 45.06
Joined: 19 Oct 2003 Member #: 4,625 Posts: 274 Location: Lincs, UK
|
Post subject: |
|
|
I used that in one of my mixes recently, indeed a very nice tune  |
| Post rating: 0 |
Rate this post: Not logged in |
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:26 pm |
|
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Thornael
Dancefloor Maniac
Vibes: 86.44
Joined: 06 Feb 2003 Member #: 3,225 Posts: 204 Location: Portugal
|
Post subject: |
|
|
Well I also prefer the long versions versus the radio edits. But I must admit it can be the very first contact of many listeners have to trance music. It's a starting point to the wonderfull world of trance. I still remember some great trance tunes I heard on the radio that captivated me into trance such as Ratty - Sunrise (here I am), chicane - saltwater, plasma - do you believe (angelic remix), paul van dyk -for an angel,delerium - underwater (rank 1 remix) and others. Among so many crap that the radio stations spurt it's always nice to hear someting refreshing. But it's so enerving to hear all the same dull, boring, anoying crap and comercial stuff that I gave up listen to radio. I think radio stations would gain if they broadcast more electronic music. _________________ "Don't Submit to stupid rules
Be yourself and not a fool
Don't accept average habits
Open your heart and push the Limits"
Last edited by Thornael on Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total |
| Post rating: 0 |
Rate this post: Not logged in |
Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:43 pm |
|
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Radiosity
Podium Dancer
 Vibes: 45.06
Joined: 19 Oct 2003 Member #: 4,625 Posts: 274 Location: Lincs, UK
|
Post subject: |
|
|
Judging by those track titles, you seem to have got into it around the same time as me Probably about '97 I think was when I really converted, though not thanks to radio. I think Born Slippy and the original Higher State, with some others such as Kadoc's Nighttrain, Brainbug's Nightmare and BBE's Seven Days, that really got me started on the road to Trance Heaven
But yeah, from then on I listened to a LOT of radio simply to get access to all the latest tracks, since those were still the days when Radio 1 (Jules, Tong, etc) played really good stuff most of the time, since trance was so huge then. Mostly I tuned in for the live events like Homelands though (Homelands 2000 being a particularly awesome one). I also listened to VibeFM a lot too as they played really good stuff, particularly in the evenings, with an hour long mix as well.
Currently though... Radio really has gone to shit imo. They pander entirely to the 'in' crowd and rarely play anything interesting or remotely decent any more. It's really quite sad. I'd love to start up a new national radio station for trance and other electronica, but the money you'd need for that would be beyond the realms of reason for anyone not massively connected to sponsors and of course a MASSIVE bank account :p
This is why Streaming Radio is a godsend. I can tune in to a station and get pure, unsullied trance, 24/7 with minimal inane chatter and ads  |
| Post rating: 0 |
Rate this post: Not logged in |
Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:04 pm |
|
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
davehart
i:Vibes Admin
 Vibes: 568.95
Joined: 19 Nov 2001 Member #: 910 Posts: 4314 Location: Notts, UK
|
Post subject: |
|
|
I agree with you there. I got into it all about 98-99. I think my first album that got me hooked was Trance Nation 2. After that I kept buying a whole range of music that liked which has brought me to the styles I enjoy now.
I do remember ATB - 9PM getting hammered on the radio all the time, used to play an old Playstaion game called 'Driver' with the radio on and my memories from it are that tune playing away. That and Madonna's record used in Austin Powers. Good times
Streaming radio is great. The online drawback for me with it is its not all around the house as my office is upstaires. The plan is to get it streamed all round the house though in the end but its a slow process  _________________ www.davehart.me |
| Post rating: 0 |
Rate this post: Not logged in |
Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:15 am |
|
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Spherix Erik i:Vibes Crew
 Vibes: 145.72
Joined: 25 Oct 2002 Member #: 2,831 Posts: 2002 Location: Sweden
|
Post subject: |
|
|
I like the long versions.
The build-up where one starts off with just a beat and then step by step are adding elements into a perfect whole is one of the things that I love with the electronic dance music In the radio version there aren't anytime for that kinda stuff. _________________ Do you believe in a god that tells you lies? - Or do you believe in me? |
| Post rating: 0 |
Rate this post: Not logged in |
Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:07 pm |
|
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Radiosity
Podium Dancer
 Vibes: 45.06
Joined: 19 Oct 2003 Member #: 4,625 Posts: 274 Location: Lincs, UK
|
Post subject: |
|
|
Yeah exactly, especially with all the multi-layered trance that's been hitting over the last few years with real buildup and momentum behind them I love all my old <2001 classics, but compared to how detailed modern trance is some of it actually sounds a little flat now (I love it no less for that though, the simplicity of the melodies and overall feel of the tracks is what I loved about them in the first place ).
Side note, nice sig, Marco V ftw  |
| Post rating: 0 |
Rate this post: Not logged in |
Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:36 pm |
|
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Viceroy Sam Club Franchise Owner
 Vibes: 230.33
Joined: 28 Jan 2003 Member #: 3,192 Posts: 2753 Location: Canada
|
Post subject: |
|
|
When I first saw Dave's question, my knee-jerk reaction was to say no...But now that I've thought about it, it would be helpful to get more trance on the radio. So I would say it not be a bad thing for some of the tracks that are more generally appealing to have a radio edit. _________________ Do you know the difference between an error and a mistake? Anyone can make an error. But that error does not become a mistake until you refuse to correct it.
-Grand Admiral Thrawn
Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.
-Friedrich von Schiller |
| Post rating: 0 |
Rate this post: Not logged in |
Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:08 am |
|
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|
|
|
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum You cannot attach files in this forum You can download files in this forum
|

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
|
|