GuidelinesGuidelines   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   BookmarksBookmarks    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Free Partitioning Software Needed, Please Help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian
on a long term break
i:Vibes Crew

Vibes: 79.70

Member #: 1,132

Post Post subject: Free Partitioning Software Needed, Please Help Reply with quote

I want to sort out problems on my computer by partitioning the harddisk, so i can move windows and my mp3 collection, letting me re-format the other partition that is damaged, and helping me sort out the computer. What I need is a free software that allows me to do this, I have absolutely no Budget available as I'm sorting out a more serious problem on my main pc. Does anybody know a good program that works and is easy to use for a beginner ?

Thanks in Advance Smile
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 4:33 pm
Steven H
The Earthquaker
Club Franchise Owner

Vibes: 157.49

Member #: 9

Post Post subject: Reply with quote

Why dont you partition it manually? ... I dont know about partition software because I do it manually Smile
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 7:08 pm
Ian
on a long term break

How would I go about that Steven ? I'd love to be able to do it, but If i bugger up my bros comp, i owe him a new one, but he's corrupted it so badly that I'm trying to persuade him to just replace the harddrive on it, but this one needs a reformat, but I can't lose his AOL & Windows data else I'm gonna be held responsible for it... stupid parents Rolling Eyes
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 7:47 pm
crobert

Cloakroom Duty

Vibes: 0.00

Member #: 965

Hmm.. could you please state your problem more explicitely ?
Do you need to repartition a new harddrive or an older one which has already some partitions on it ? Do you need to split a partition ? Do you need to repair (bad sectors) a partition ? Because the solution for each of these cases can be different and is different. In any case, if you need to repartition a disk, _always_ make backups.
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 8:46 am
Ian
on a long term break

to tell you the truth, its a shit 6gig hdd, and I'm so tempted to get him to spend 50 quid and have a brand new one with no errors on it and lots of space, I've seen 40gig ones for that price, and it'd save so much trouble, and make the machine load faster, He's using up 4.5gb and I wanna make the other 1.5 seperate so I can move existing programs onto it, and format the 4.5 left so its got a clean slate, then re-move windows and some mp3's back for him, but he expects me to do everything no problems without any money from him... grr Mad
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 10:27 am
crobert

Cloakroom Duty

Member #: 965

aha.. so you need to repartition a disk while not losing any data on it.

Ok. Depending on the partition type that you have right now, you might be lucky. There's a free partition splitting utility FIPS : http://www.igd.fhg.de/~aschaefe/fips/

As far as I know it only works on FAT16 partitions, and you probably have FAT 32, thinking that you have a 6GB disk and only one partition. I might be wrong, but anyway read the FIPS docs before trying anything!!! The idea is that you have to defragment the disk and then boot to DOS mode and run FIPS. It will split the partition and make it as bigger as you want. However the original partition cannot be smaller that the amount of data on it.

I strongly suggest backup on another device. And the part with you copying the Windows installation from one partition to the other without reinstall, that only works for Win9x and requires some knowledge of how things work with Windows (boot procedure and other things)
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 12:48 pm
Steven H
The Earthquaker
Club Franchise Owner

Vibes: 157.49

Member #: 9

If you move windows to the small partition and then format the big one and then move windows back to the big one it will not work. Im sorry to have to say this but you will need to re-install windows in this case and therefore also install AOL again.

But its not a hard thing to do! Smile
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 3:12 pm
Ian
on a long term break

I've decided that I can't be arsed to fix his computer, the fact he hadn't used scandisk or defragment or backup once in the 14 months he'd had it proves he don't really care, he just wants me to sort it, as soon as mines done he can have this back and buy a new harddrive, or buy mine off me and I'll get a p4 2gig with 160gig hdd and 1024mb of ram Wink
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 4:21 pm
Rob3rt

Feeling The Music

Member #: 1,604

you can try partition magic at a warez site, but i don't really trust any programs like that. don't ask why, i just don't. i still prefer fdisk.
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 12:34 am
polygon2k

Part-Time Clubber

Member #: 1,397

go into dos and type 'fdisk'. Make sure youve copied all your files that you want to CD or something, cause once youve fdisked your hard drive, its not easy to get your files back.

www.stationmp3.com/polygon
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 11:09 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [i:Vibes] Forum Index -> Other discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: