Joined: 19 Nov 2001 Member #: 910 Posts: 4314 Location: Notts, UK
Post subject: Do You Trust The DJ Mag Top 100 Poll?
Its always been known that DJ's try to rig this to get more votes in the polls but this year a few big name jocks have been caught with their pants down doing it.
So, the question is does this poll have any significant value to those looking for the worlds best 100 DJ's? Or is it just a load of old bollocks?
Joined: 19 Oct 2003 Member #: 4,625 Posts: 274 Location: Lincs, UK
Post subject:
davehart wrote:
Or is it just a load of old bollocks?
Pretty much. I've never placed much store in top 100s or other forms of popularity contest. I like djs who can spin choons I love and keep me entertained and happily dancing like a maniac for hours without growing bored or tired. As such, I don't really care if they're a supastar deejeh (... Kevin and Perry moment there, sorry...) or an unknown local club dj
Of course I have my favourites, same as everyone else, but that's based entirely on my own opinion and tastes without the need for potentially fixed contests or figures.
Joined: 28 Jan 2003 Member #: 3,192 Posts: 2753 Location: Canada
Post subject:
Yeah, it's a load of.
It's not accurate, and even if it was, there's too many uninformed people putting in their opinion for it to be worthwhile.
I haven't been paying attention, who has been caught cheating? _________________ Do you know the difference between an error and a mistake? Anyone can make an error. But that error does not become a mistake until you refuse to correct it.
-Grand Admiral Thrawn
Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.
-Friedrich von Schiller
Joined: 19 Nov 2001 Member #: 910 Posts: 4314 Location: Notts, UK
Post subject:
Japanese DJ Tiesme addmitted to paying a software engineer to make a script up for him to put votes in for him and a fair few other DJ's have been booted out because of abnormal voting patterns.
DJ Dam, The FLash Brothers and Christopher Lawrence are a few big names that have been banned. _________________ www.davehart.me
Joined: 19 Oct 2003 Member #: 4,625 Posts: 274 Location: Lincs, UK
Post subject:
Wow, Christopher Lawrence? That's unexpected, though I guess they're all just human and have their flaws like everyone else. One of my favourite tracks currently is a J00F-Lawrence collab (albeit a remix by Steve Birch, but still).
Joined: 19 Nov 2001 Member #: 910 Posts: 4314 Location: Notts, UK
Post subject:
I was surprised to hear that about him to but I suspect it might be down to their PR team as both him and DJ Dan use the same compnay and both have been exluded.
That Japanese geezer though, no excuse for that. _________________ www.davehart.me
Joined: 27 May 2005 Member #: 7,605 Posts: 6 Location: New York
Post subject:
Apparently Christopher Lawrence has been cleared, saw this on Trackitdown
-------
Christopher Lawrence cleared by DJ Magazine in Top 100 poll.
Christopher Lawrence and his team are pleased to announce that
Christopher has been cleared of any wrongdoing in relation to the Top
100 poll.
Following the discovery of voting anomalies in this years poll, DJ Mag
conducted an in depth investigation, which ultimately cleared
Christopher of any involvement.
Publisher James Robertson says “DJ Mag has been in lengthy discussions
with Christopher Lawrence following our discovery of voting
irregularities" he stated. "We fully accept his explanation that he,
personally, had no involvement in any cheating".
In an interview with Skrufff, Christopher Lawrence explained
“Apparently there were multiple votes from single IP addresses. DJ Mag
felt it was suspicious and contacted my team to see if we knew anything
about it,” he continued, “We didn't, so we arranged for the marketing
manager who was handling my Top 100 campaign to speak to them. He
explained that he promotes the vote to street teams of 100,000- 150,000
people, mainly students".
"My team hired him because he had done campaigns like People's Choice
Awards in the US as well as work for major record labels and movie
studios. He said he had never had problems before, but clearly DJ Mag
had a problem with his methods and the multiple votes were irregular,
so we had to ask him to step aside,” he continued.
“My wife was worried and considered signing me up with a wedding DJ
agency, but fortunately there has been no impact whatsoever. No
cancelled bookings. Nothing. So I guess I can put my Kool & the Gang
records away. No weddings any time soon,” Christopher joked.
Members of the dance industry spoke out in support. BBC Radio 1's Judge
Jules said "Christopher has long been one of the biggest DJ's in the
US, who in more recent years found just how well his sound worked over
in Europe. I've played with him loads and he's never failed to generate
a brilliant reaction".
Dave Lee, Gatecrasher Brand Director says "Chris has been a great
artist for many years, and performed well for Gatecrasher in 2007. His
'Live in Moscow' album was at the top of MOS non TV album seller list
in 2007".
"The fans have also been great" said Christopher. "I was on tour in
China over the weekend and the shows were the best I have ever done in
that market. I think most people are able to put it into perspective."
And as for other DJ’s reactions, "I think most DJs are probably
relieved that it wasn't them,” he laughed.
DJ Mag publisher James Robertson says “DJmag has always believed,
regardless of 2007’s anomalies, that Christopher is an excellent DJ who
stands shoulder-to-shoulder with the world’s best. We look forward to
him resuming his rightful place amongst the leading performers in the
Top 100 DJs 2008 poll.”
In conclusion, Christopher said "Any DJ can be #1 on any given night.
The Top 100 is only a poll and what really matters is what happens on
the dance floor. At the end of the night when the lights come on and
the music fades, you know who your favorite DJ is, and that's all that
really matters".
Joined: 23 Nov 2007 Member #: 12,485 Posts: 15 Location: Maidstone / London, UK
Post subject:
Dirty Byrd wrote:
In conclusion, Christopher said "Any DJ can be #1 on any given night.
The Top 100 is only a poll and what really matters is what happens on
the dance floor. At the end of the night when the lights come on and
the music fades, you know who your favorite DJ is, and that's all that
really matters".
Hear hear!
I really think that the DJ Mag Top 100 becomes less and less relevant with each passing year...
Joined: 19 Nov 2001 Member #: 910 Posts: 4314 Location: Notts, UK
Post subject:
I think your right really. It's really been a list so DJ's can raise their gig income by saying, "well I'm number 10 in the world so I want an extra five grand for the gig".
I dont pay much attention to DJ lists as al they do is highlight who is popular at the current moment, not who is the best. _________________ www.davehart.me
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum You cannot attach files in this forum You can download files in this forum