GuidelinesGuidelines   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   BookmarksBookmarks    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Starting to Mix on PC - Which program?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [i:Vibes] Forum Index -> Music Production and DJ Mix Promotion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seven_PRX

Vibes: 0.76

Member #: 6,206

Post Post subject: Starting to Mix on PC - Which program? Reply with quote

I’ve been listening quite intensive to dance music for the past few years, and the last year met many professional DJ's, and I've become more and more interested in DJ'ing.

Now, I would like to start trying to 'DJ' (lets say 'mix/make a [live]set') myself (to be played in a club, where people would [hopefully ;] [be able to] dance to it); but would like to try in the beginning on my PC only, so without any 'real' (physical) equipment (turn-tables for example).

Let's assume my budget is unlimited, which piece of software is the ABSOLUTE best, the cream of the crop, to mix/make (live)sets on your PC with (the kind of mixes/[live]sets a DJ would play in a club)?

I've seen names as Sound Forge, Gold Wave, FLStudio, TRAKTOR DJ, TRAKTOR DJ Studio 2, Screenblast ACID, ACID Pro, Reason, etc. Edit: and a DJ I know suggested Ableton Live.

Basically, I want to start with software mixing, to get the hang of this, and maybe later turn 'real' (hardware).

So: which piece of Software, do you recommend to mix dance music (trance/prog|deep|tech|tribal house/techno mainly) with? To create a 'virtual' DJ (live)set?

So I don't want to make (create) (re)mixes of a song, or create my own song/music, just to mix music (create a [live]set/DJ set) as a DJ does when he plays in a club.

Also, let’s say I am a natural (which I think I am not btw Wink, the quality (so automatically also the program I use to make it with), should equal or be close to that of what a DJ would play in a club. I.e. I don’t want to just fade song A into song B for a birthday party Wink

And remember the price of the software doesn’t matter.

Thnx,

Post rating: 1 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:43 pm
davehart

i:Vibes Admin

Vibes: 563.92

Member #: 910

Post Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, I'd say your best off starting mixing without software as you start on that and rely on it too much. It makes mixing tracks as easy as pie. I can't really recommend any software programs to use for PC mixing as I've got all the DJ kit to do it the proper way.

Whats with all (these) brackets? Smile

Dont tell me you want to create a CD and then just play that in a nightclub while pretending to mix it, I've seen that many a time.

I do do some mixes on the PC but only usung pretty basic software if I'm in a rush. If you starting off then the best way is to start mixing with hardware as you will be able to learn how to mix properly and a lot better than relying on a PC.

Post rating: 1 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:05 am
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Seven_PRX

Don't want to invest the money in hardware until I'm sure I like it Wink

The brackets? Dunno Wink

And no, I don't want to make a CD & play it in a club Wink Sounds really lame to do this =)
Just want to find a program with which u could equal the quality of 'really' playing on decks in a club =)

Anybody got suggestion which piece of software is the best?

Post rating: 1 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:35 am
Steven H
The Earthquaker
Club Franchise Owner

Vibes: 157.49

Member #: 9

trakto DJ Studio from nativeinstruments or

www.mixmiester.com
or
maybe
its
www.mixmeister.com

1 or tha 2 Very Happy
Post rating: 1 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:04 pm
mindone
Mind One
i:Vibes Helper

Vibes: 0.80

Member #: 6,220

TRAKTOR is the choice!
Post rating: -1 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:08 pm
Seven_PRX

Ok, Traktor recommended by 2 ppl; so guess I'll give it a go.
The more extensive one (DJ Studio) probably is the better of the two? With more options etc?

Thnx,

Post rating: 1 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:01 am
Steven H
The Earthquaker
Club Franchise Owner

Vibes: 157.49

Member #: 9

Traktor is ur best bet indeed Very Happy
Post rating: 1 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:21 am
stlmix
Dylan

Vibes: 0.43

Member #: 6,260

Post Post subject: Reason Reply with quote

I say Reason is Choice
Post rating: 1 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:39 am
Anonymous

Member #: -1

Fruity Loop 4.5.1 is prime. Everyone says Reason is equal or better. I also use HammerHead and Hot Stepper every so often for beats. I dont know why.
Post rating: Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:56 am
Nick P
Nick
i:Vibes Helper

Vibes: 23.54

Member #: 6,337

I've used Virtual Dj, and I've liked that a lot. Has a nice visual beat representation which is a big help when you want to cheat when you're mixing stuff... Good recording features too. You can set it up so that when you move the crossfader over it cuts recording to a new file, so you can get each track set up.
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:53 am
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [i:Vibes] Forum Index -> Music Production and DJ Mix Promotion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: