GuidelinesGuidelines   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   BookmarksBookmarks    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Question for an admin reguarding legality issues in...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [i:Vibes] Forum Index -> Site Feedback and Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Divine DG Cannon
Dan Szemborski
Wannabe Clubber

Vibes: 11.54

Member #: 3,592

Post Post subject: Question for an admin reguarding legality issues in... Reply with quote

...the trance community. I would like to know if it is legal in the United States of America to do download DJ sets that include copyright music, even if the set is not for sale (i.e. www.tranceaddict.com).

And if doing the above is legal I would like to know if it is legal for me to burn these sets on a CD for my own personal use (i.e. listening to the music in my car).

The reason I came here is because I trust an administrator would know, and I'm not sure where else to go for this information. It is important for me to know due to morality issues. I know that DJs do this in order to plug artists music, but is it still not illegal? Thank you.
Post rating: 1 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:47 pm
Stream

i:Vibes Admin

Vibes: 328.47

Member #: 1

Post Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'm not really sure about the rules and regulations in the US, and what the personal rights are there. But I can write some words in general.

DJ sets usually contains copyrighted songs. Most DJ's want their sets distributed to get as many listeners as possible, however the copyright-holders of the tracks in the set might not like this. Anjunabeats for example does not allow downloadable DJ-sets containing any copyrighted material of theirs, while many other labels looks at it as promotion.

About the sets on tranceaddict I really don't know. Maybe they have been given permission to make them available for the public. If so, and all copyright-holders don't mind, it should be legal to download and burn them for personal use (but obviously not for sale).

The rules of personal use are different from country to country. In Norway for instance, it is allowed to record sets from radio and burn them on cd for personal use. It is also allowed to make a copy of a friends cd. In other countries it's not allowed.
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:01 pm
Steven H
The Earthquaker
Club Franchise Owner

Vibes: 157.49

Member #: 9

In Ireland, you can do almost anything, because our laws are not enforced. You can go out at night beat the head of someone and just get thrown in a cell for 2 hours and then ur free to go. The cops over here just dont like the paperwork...

As for MP3 & Livesets... The cops in Ireland mostly dont even know how to log on to a webpage or even know what new music is, so they have no iniative to persue people who are copying music and stuff. Ireland would be a perfect pirates home.

However saying that, if you do it big time and you are selling quite a lot of stuff like that the cops from the main Irish city would probably have to do something... But without pressure nothing would be done.

-> Regarding your question, I believe it is illegal to burn the sets without the permission of hte labels who own the music...
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:27 pm
Divine DG Cannon
Dan Szemborski
Wannabe Clubber

Vibes: 11.54

Member #: 3,592

Stream wrote:
Ok, I'm not really sure about the rules and regulations in the US, and what the personal rights are there. But I can write some words in general.

DJ sets usually contains copyrighted songs. Most DJ's want their sets distributed to get as many listeners as possible, however the copyright-holders of the tracks in the set might not like this. Anjunabeats for example does not allow downloadable DJ-sets containing any copyrighted material of theirs, while many other labels looks at it as promotion.

About the sets on tranceaddict I really don't know. Maybe they have been given permission to make them available for the public. If so, and all copyright-holders don't mind, it should be legal to download and burn them for personal use (but obviously not for sale).

The rules of personal use are different from country to country. In Norway for instance, it is allowed to record sets from radio and burn them on cd for personal use. It is also allowed to make a copy of a friends cd. In other countries it's not allowed.

Thank you. I'm still debating if I should get rid of my old '99 Oakenfold Essential mix sets, though. I just want to do what is legal, even if the cops don't do anything.
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:04 pm
Viceroy
Sam
Club Franchise Owner

Vibes: 230.33

Member #: 3,192

With tranceaddict it's almost certainly been OK'd by the labels/DJs because everybody knows about the site. It's not like TA could just slip under the radar. The labels probably have looked at the site and decided not to do anything, whether they were asked for permission or not.
I find online sets/stations very valuable because otherwise I would never hear new music until a new CD came out (which I would have to order online anyway).

Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.
-Friedrich von Schiller
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:13 pm
motapower

Starting to Feel The Music

Vibes: 17.87

Member #: 4,896

I would go with Viceroy's advice since tranceaddict is allegedly a legal business and if anyone were to get in trouble it would be them before you for illegaly distributing copyrighted material (like Napster who got in legal trouble before its users did). Tranceaddict probably notifies all the parties involved before actually posting the material or they would risk lawsuits. You can always keep downloading from them and if you ever hear that they have gotten in legal trouble you can always stop.
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:32 pm
Steven H
The Earthquaker
Club Franchise Owner

seems most labels are ok with it except Anjunabeats ... so u know when not to download a set..
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:54 am
((-&E-))
Hardcore Till I Die
Dumonde Addict

Vibes: 77.64

Member #: 1,517

i dont see why livesets are illegal, esp when theres sites like tranceairwaves where u can stream CD quality music to your computer.. and anyone with a good sound card will be able to record that straight to their harddisk..

NOW.. u may say.. YEAH BUT THATS ILLEGAL.. to record it.. (not to listen to it)

.. BUT lets not forget;

taping songs from the radio to tape WAS/IS ILLEGAL.. and i bet you all did it b4 mp3's were soooo easily available.. (early 90's..)

which is only the same Razz

Its Coming Home, Its Coming Home, Its Coming, Footballs Coming Home
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:53 am
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Steven H
The Earthquaker
Club Franchise Owner

good analogy.. Smile
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:19 pm
Andy P
Andy
i:Vibes Crew

Vibes: 94.69

Member #: 4,745

oh stfu

the law is the law, whether you like or not and to the thread starter, the admin knows the law and attempts to follow it carefully. We do our utmost best to avoid copyright. Tranceaddict does not put up tunes without permission, you want to talk about that, email swamper the admin of TA. Most sites follow the law, if not usually a letter threatening to sue comes in from a label. We strive for 100% great relationships with our labels and they seem to enjoy working with us.

Check the frontpage daily to find out!
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:05 am
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [i:Vibes] Forum Index -> Site Feedback and Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: