GuidelinesGuidelines   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   BookmarksBookmarks    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Just now into the 'electronica' scene... What do i need?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [i:Vibes] Forum Index -> Music Production and DJ Mix Promotion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KnottyGoliath
Dread Guy

Vibes: 0.53

Member #: 6,017

Post Post subject: Just now into the 'electronica' scene... What do i need? Reply with quote

a couple years ago, i was introduced into the music of scratching... i bought turn-tables after that, but never EVER really did anything with that...

now i am REALLY into electronica(trance, house, breakbeats, and more)...

i have 2 Gemni XL-100 Belt Drive turntables and a Behringer Pro Mixer DX-100...

i am a newb... yes, i know NOTHING about making electronica music... i was wondering... what all do i need to create 'techno'?... what do you recomend i start out doing... what other 'hardware' and 'software' do i need???

msn-nicksinsaneforever@hotmail.com
yahoo-nicksinsaneforever
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:46 am
Aquascape

Podium Dancer

Vibes: 47.46

Member #: 5,508

Post Post subject: Re: Just now into the 'electronica' scene... What do i need? Reply with quote

A lot depends on your budget and how serious you are about production. Software all-in-one studios are a popular choice for many beginners since they have everything you need - sequencer, effects, synths in the one application. FL Studio and Reason 2 are both very popular.

Also, subscribe to Computer Music or Future Music magazines. They are an invaluable resource in keeping you up-to-date with the latest products and have loads of tutorials.

Here are some helpful links:
www.flstudio.com - try the demo and learn about FL Studio
www.propellerheads.se - try the Reason 2 demo and learn about it
www.computermusic.co.uk - website for the magazine (there are a lot of articles and tutorials from issues of the magazines)
www.futuremusic.co.uk - roughly the same as computermusic.co.uk
www.futureproducers.com - Tutorials, forum etc...
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:20 pm
Trancegate

Regular Clubber

Vibes: 10.50

Member #: 5,928

Post Post subject: Reply with quote

a controler or a keyboard with midi output, and a nice audio card with low latency, now the software is up to you, try everything, start with Fruity L.
and if you dont like it try Reason, there are some good sequencers too (Cubase SL/SX, Ableton Live etc. are sequencers for musicians), everything will come with the experience. Wink
keep searching and youll find what you realy need.
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:24 pm
Steven H
The Earthquaker
Club Franchise Owner

Vibes: 157.49

Member #: 9

I say go out buy a cheap midi keyboard then buy Reason and a few sample cds just to get u started. www.propellerheads.se

if you wanna record vocals in a non studio environment then you should spend no less than around $300 on a mic, otherwise you will have extremly terrible quality as opposed to medium quality Smile
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:56 pm
Aquascape

Podium Dancer

Vibes: 47.46

Member #: 5,508

Steven H wrote:
then buy Reason and a few sample cds just to get u started.
I recommend the Pro Samples range: www.prosamples.com
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:00 pm
ilalin

Cloakroom Duty

Vibes: 2.90

Member #: 5,971

I would recommend Reason to start.
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:23 pm
KnottyGoliath
Dread Guy

Vibes: 0.53

Member #: 6,017

Cool... thnx guys and gals...

i'm checkin out all the referals... i guess i will just see what i like and how it works out for me.
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:16 pm
discovery01
Peter F
Cloakroom Duty

Vibes: 1.64

Member #: 5,923

just a question, you said in your post that you use belt-driven turntables and that you are into scratching. those dont mix very well at all, if i were you i would get some direct-drive motor turntables, as they will last forever, as opposed to the short-term life of a belt-driven one used for that genre.

cheers
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:24 am
Stbean

Almost a Clubber

Vibes: 2.88

Member #: 4,811

I would highly reccomend Reason from propellorhead. By the time u master reason you will really know what you want in a synth and exactly what equipment you need....although you can still produce pro productions with reason. Youll end up saving alot of cash too.
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:31 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [i:Vibes] Forum Index -> Music Production and DJ Mix Promotion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: